(as of [price_update_date] – Details)
Importance of Degassing
1. Carbon dioxide in solution is what makes a carbonated drink fizzy. Most wines are meant to be still. Carbon dioxide will make a wine fizzy, which is typically not what you want. In fact, sparkling wines are first degassed before they are re-carbonated.
2. Dissolved carbon dioxide prevents wine from clearing properly, white wines in particular are sensitive to carbon dioxide. Not degassing a white wine will leave it with a haze that will not clear with time.
3. When carbon dioxide is dissolved in wine it creates an acidic flavour due to the carbon dioxide and water reacting to form carbonic acid.
Wine Stirrer Instructions
1. Rack the wine/liquid into a carboy or bucket (make sure the carboy or bucket is food grade and is cleaned thoroughly).
2. Clean off the degassing rod and the drill before attaching it to the drill.
3. Add a bung if desired and food grade lubricant on the inside of the bung to avoid too much friction causing shavings to be produced.
4. Attach the degassing rod to the drill and fasten it securely.
5. Gently insert the degassing tool into the carboy or bucket and begin by rotating clockwise on the lowest speed setting.
6. Start by pulsing/throttling the drill and seeing how the mixture reacts. If too much froth is formed from the agitation then it could overflow the container. If froth begins to form, agitate more gently and in sequences of 10-15 seconds.
7. Increase the speed as necessary being attentive to how the liquid reacts.
8. Stir the wine with the degassing rod for about 5-30 minutes.
9. Seal the carboy with the airlock and let it sit for 1-3 hours. If you are using a bucket then covering with a cloth works fine.
10. Return and repeat the same process.
11. Seal the carboy again with the airlock and let it sit.
12. Repeat 2-3 times.
Save your arm when stirring, degassing, or decarbonating large volumes of wine, mead, beer, or other liquids (fermented or not)
Rod shaped tip allows for seamless attachment to any standard 3/8” drill (DRILL NOT INCLUDED)
Universal 17.5” rod size that fits into any size carboy (1 gal, 3 gal, 5 gal, 6 gal etc.)
Made of food grade stainless steel 316 for safe use for food and drink and eliminates plastic shavings and residue after throttling & mixing
Paddles fold in when inserting and extend when the rod is rotated allowing for easy insertion into carboy