Perfect for when you just want one dessert not three dozen, this Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cookie Recipe will satisfy your sweet tooth and not ruin your diet (and the peanut butter is optional!)
Why We LOVE This Cookie in a Mug
It’s a cookie. For one. In a mug.
It’s a chocolate cookie. With mini chocolate chips. And peanut butter. In a mug. Single-serve. For one.
If you’re not like me and don’t have two identical (but for the failed crust on one) cheesecake bars, a batch of donuts, and three dozen cookies on their counter, and you want something sweet but not a whole batch, this recipe is for you.
How to make a cookie in a mug
I adapted an adaption of this chocolate cookie recipe to make this cookie. This is where my nerdy math background (summa cum laude in mathematics, thankyouverymuch, although I laugh when I think about it because I’m so not even close to that level anymore, if I even was) comes in handy. I can convert fractions of cups into tablespoons and teaspoons and divide by 12 or 36 or whatever. It’s actually quite simple…which I know just made about ¾ of you roll your eyes.
1. Mug: Use an 8-ounce coffee mug or larger. It won’t fill it up completely but you don’t want it to overflow.
2. Mix: Melt the butter in the mug, then stir in the sugars and vanilla.
3. Egg: The tricky part is the egg. How do you twelfth an egg? You don’t. You adjust other things so that you can use 1 yolk. It’s just how it is. The beauty of this recipe is that you can make it egg-free by substituting milk or water (1 tablespoon) for the egg yolk. It won’t rise as much or be as rich, but it’ll still be good. Or, use 1 tablespoon of egg beaters.
(Want to use the yolk? Learn how to separate an egg!)
4. Dry ingredients: Mix in the cocoa, flour, salt and baking powder. Stir in chocolate chips.
5. Cook: Microwave for about 30 seconds, longer if you want it more done. All microwaves cook differently so you might have to play with the time.
6. Topping: Add peanut butter on top!
The chocolate and richness of this cookie make it taste like a brownie.
The peanut butter is just because I’m…me. Everything is better with peanut butter, especially chocolate and fudgy cookies. I just added a dollop of Super Chunk Skippy Naturals (my favorite brand). You can totally leave it off, or use Nutella or Biscoff or any other nut butter or spread.
It whisks up in a few minutes and cooks in 30 seconds. Perfect when you need chocolate NOW but got rid of it all because calories.
Yes, just skip it on top. Then you’ll have a chocolate mug cookie!
The beauty of making a cookie in a mug is the ratios are easier to mess with. Leave out the cocoa powder and add 1 extra teaspoon flour and you’ll have a chocolate chip cookie in a mug!
All microwaves cook differently, and all tastes are different. 30 seconds makes a gooey cookie in my microwave. You may need to cook it up to 60 seconds but play with it and test it a bit so it’s not dry.
You’ll want one that’s at least 8-ounces. There will be space at the top (it won’t be totally full) but I prefer that to having it grow and mess all over your microwave. You can use a bigger mug as well. Obviously use one that is microwave safe.
Yes if you prefer to make a cookie in a mug without egg, use 1 tablespoon egg beaters or egg whites. Or, skip it all together and use water or milk. Egg Beaters will taste as close to the original as possible, water or milk will be a bit drier and not as fudgy.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
- 1 tablespoon (14g) unsalted butter (or butter spread)
- 1 tablespoon (13g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4g) granulated sugar
- 3 drops pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg yolk OR 1 tablespoon milk OR 1 tablespoon egg beaters
- 2 teaspoons (2g) cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon (8g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (11g) mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon (17g) peanut butter creamy or chunky, optional (also try Nutella, Biscoff, or any other spread)
Place butter in an 8-ounce coffee mug (or bigger, but it doesn’t grow much). Melt in the microwave, about 20 seconds. Stir in sugars, vanilla, and baking powder. Stir in egg yolk, coca, and flour. Stir in chocolate chips.
Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. You may need to cook it up to 60 seconds depending on your microwave or doneness preference. Tip with peanut butter (if using). Let cool slightly before eating.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 421kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 228mg | Sodium: 197mg | Potassium: 232mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 643IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
Learn how to make a cookie in a mug without egg! A chocolate cookie in a mug with peanut butter is the perfect easy dessert for one – a simple gooey and fudgy cookie you will LOVE!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
Join for FREE to start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: June 15, 2021