If you’re looking for a delicious and super easy side, you’ll love these brown sugar carrots!
They’re sweet and caramelized in a hint of brown sugar and this recipe takes just one pot and 15 minutes.
An Easy Side
We have the one-pot stovetop solution for a quick side dish! Make ahead, store in the refrigerator and then simply reheat in the microwave!
Boil or Steam Carrots First
Many vegetable recipes recommend boiling or steaming prior as a first step because it cuts cooking time, technically, either method works. Here are two methods for steaming vegetables.
- Microwave Steam: Place carrots in a microwave-safe bowl with about one inch of water. Cover with plastic wrap and poke some holes in the top for so the steam can vent. Cook on high for about 4-5 minutes or until the carrots are tender crisp. Remove plastic away from your face to avoid the steam and be careful, the steam can burn your hand.
- Stove Top Steam: Place carrots in a steamer basket in a saucepan with about one inch of water. Cover the saucepan and cook on high until the carrots are tender about 6-7 minutes.
- Stove Top Boil: Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add carrots. Simmer until tender, about 5 minutes.
COOK TIME: Garden fresh or young baby carrots will need less time to cook while older or larger carrots might need more time. Test the carrots with a fork early to ensure they don’t overcook.
Add the Brown Sugar
Brown sugar carrots are as easy as 1-2-3!
- Once the carrots are tender, drain well.
- Combine with brown sugar and butter. Serve immediately.
If you prefer the brown sugar to be more of a glaze, allow it to simmer with the butter for about 1-2 minutes before stirring the carrots in.
- Baby carrots, fresh peeled and sliced carrots, or even sliced frozen carrots will work. Before cooking, thaw frozen carrots on the countertop or in the microwave, and drain.
- For a honey-glazed version, switch out the brown sugar for honey and add a touch of cinnamon as a garnish before serving. Maple syrup will work too.
- Leftovers will last up to 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Reheat brown sugar carrots in the microwave or on the stovetop with a tablespoon of butter. Adjust seasonings and serve.
What to Serve with Glazed Carrots
Crazy for Carrots
Did you love these Brown Sugar Carrots? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Brown Sugar Carrots
These Brown Sugar Carrots are so simple, yet flavorful. They pair perfectly with any entrèe!
Peel carrots and cut into ½ ” slices.
Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and simmer 5-6 minutes or until carrots are tender-crisp (do not overcook). Drain well.
Add butter, brown sugar, and salt to the same pot. Toss with carrots and cook until melted and smooth.
Garden fresh or fresh small carrots will cook faster while thicker or older carrots may need extra time. Check the carrots early so they do not overcook.
For a thicker glaze, bring the butter and brown sugar to a simmer and let simmer 1-2 minutes before adding the carrots.
Warm spices such as cinnamon can be added. Garnish with thyme if desired.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Calories: 119, Carbohydrates: 17g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 275mg, Potassium: 363mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 11g, Vitamin A: 19119IU, Vitamin C: 7mg, Calcium: 42mg, Iron: 1mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Keyword best brown sugar carrots, brown sugar carrots, brown sugar carrots recipe, how to make brown sugar carrots
Course Side Dish