In our tasty upgrade to the classic, a rich, orange-scented batter is combined with lightly mashed and whole fruit, leading to the comforting and iconic blueberry muffin. With pops of caramelized blueberries and a Graham Cracker Streusel, these muffins are simply unforgettable.
Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- ¾ cup (150 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) sour cream, room temperature
- ¼ cup (55 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), room temperature
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) tightly packed orange zest
- 2½ tablespoons (37.5 grams) fresh orange juice, room temperature
- ¾ teaspoon (4.5 grams) vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups (250 grams) plus 1 teaspoon (3 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- ⅓ cup (40 grams) finely ground graham cracker crumbs (see Note)
- 2½ teaspoons (12.5 grams) baking powder
- 1¼ teaspoons (3.75 grams) kosher salt
- 2½ cups (398 grams) fresh blueberries, divided
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar, melted butter, sour cream, brown sugar, eggs, orange zest and juice, and vanilla bean paste.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups (250 grams) flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt. Fold in sugar mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened and some streaks of flour remain.
- In a small bowl, mash ½ cup (77 grams) blueberries with a fork.
- In another medium bowl, toss together 1½ cups (244 grams) blueberries and remaining 1 teaspoon (3 grams) flour. Add mashed blueberries and blueberry mixture to batter; fold just until combined. (Batter will still be lumpy; do not overmix). Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Spray a 12-well muffin pan with baking spray with flour.
- Divide batter among prepared wells (about ⅓ cup [about 93 grams] each), spreading into an even layer. Sprinkle with Graham Cracker Streusel; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar. Press remaining ½ cup (77 grams) blueberries into top of batter in each well.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F (190°C), and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 12 to 14 minutes more. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Gently loosen and pick up each muffin; return muffins to wells, and let cool for 20 minutes. (This helps prevent muffins from sticking to pan; once completely released, further cooling in pan gives any muffins with soft fruit in the bottom more structure before complete removal.) Remove from pan. Serve warm, or let cool completely on a wire rack.
Graham Cracker Streusel
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon (1.5 grams) vanilla bean paste
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup (30 grams) finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons (16 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla bean paste, and salt until well combined. Add graham cracker crumbs, flour, and cinnamon; stir until well combined.
To finely grind graham crackers, place them in a large resealable plastic bag; use a rolling pin to crush graham crackers until finely ground.